Thursday, October 17, 2013

Unknown Quotient



"The atheist can't find God for the same reason that a thief can't find a police officer." - Unknown

This week I have twice encountered individuals who don't believe in God. Period. To them life is something to "endure" or "to do your best in" and nothing else. You live. You blink out. There's no need to "make it any more than that". Wow. I mean...it's fascinating.

Ya know, in my politics I am mostly conservative (gasp!) and as much as I say that my liberal friends  baffle me beyond comprehension, that's not really true. I mean...it's politics. At best it's a game of charades, with one party or the other mostly unrecognizable from one generation to the next. Your side wins. My side wins. Nothing gets done regardless (the events of this week pretty much proved that). Politics is temporal and two faced.

But God? God is eternal and of one mind. This whole notion of a cosmos, universe, planet and human existence that is without purpose or meaning is completely and utterly beyond my comprehension. I just can't get my head around this idea, or how anyone could subscribe to it. Creation without a creator? Love as just a chemical romance? A human conscience that is just some sort of synaptic response in the brain? At my core...like WAY deep down...I reject these ideas with prejudice.

Both of these individuals I spoke to ran into a witness this week because, well, I'm tired of not advancing my faith, passionately and without regret. They know I love them. I just can't subscribe to their way of thinking. I keep praying each day that they will arrive at some unknown quotient that allows them to finally include God in their lives.

Because a life of all subtractions and, ultimately, nothing but a zero? That math is just plain sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment