Thursday, September 12, 2013

Author, Author





My other godson, The Atheist, who's twenty-eight, told me the other day, "Figuring out God should be an easy thing. I mean, you only have two books to study (the Old Testament and New Testament), so how hard could it be?" I am rarely struck speechless but I was then. I mean, such a statement is akin to saying "Since there are only three primary colors, it should be easy to paint like Monet."

Be it the OT or the NT, anyone who has read the bible knows that the Word of God is a living thing. It evolves and reveals on so many levels that you can easily lose count. There are so many things to unpack, concepts to analyze and mysteries waiting to be revealed that a person who lived a thousand years could die still not understanding it all. But that's not the only reason you read it anyway.

The number of books is not what matters, as much as it is that you simply take the time to read them. There's not a preacher, pastor or priest in the world who hasn't told his flock to read the bible. Is this because they're so wise? No. It's because they're wise enough to know the limitations of their own wisdom. One can preach a message every Sunday and still not accomplish the amount of work that God alone does in a person's single reading of even one part of the bible. For me it was Philippians 4:4-7. I have a friend who cites Isiah 40:30-31. Another was impacted for the first time by Proverbs 3:6 and yet another Romans 8:28. Lives forever changed by mere sentences.

The Atheist has his textbooks. He has Darwin. He has things to study and learn. But here's the important difference: he has read nothing that studies and learns him. The Word, as authored by God, does exactly that. You may not like what it discovers in you, and I often struggle with what it reveals, but I can imagine no greater book than the one that tells you your very own story.



2 comments:

  1. Great post, T! I love the way you put that - "the one that tells you your very own story." Sweet. He has carved us on the palm of his hand.

    Also, you may want to point out to your godson that the Bible is actually 66 books, written by 40 authors or so (from all walks of life - from shepherds to kings) over a period of at least 1500 years. What else? Written in three different languages. You know. There's some stuff to contend with when studying.

    Keep up the good work, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks H! I always appreciate your kind words. Yeah...your stats are solid and I'll remember them for next time but you know the atheist mind: he will just use the 40 authors over 1500 years to claim historical/factual inaccuracies as a result. My approach was more to show the grace and glory of the book itself, and less the technical merits by which it stands. As a result I hope I was able to reach some people who are in the middle now, between belief and non-belief.

    ReplyDelete