Thursday, September 5, 2013

100 to 1 Godson




 "In the tests of your life remember that God is building and strengthening your character, so that your character can support your destiny." - Robert Morris

I went to see my godson’s first football game yesterday. He’s made the freshman team at the center position but he didn’t get to start and, much to his frustration, he didn’t even get to play. I wanted to tell him a few things after the game but I haven’t been around much for most of his young life and therefore I didn’t really feel qualified to start throwing around advice all of a sudden. 

Still, I wanted to tell him how proud of him I was. How I watched him go up and down that sideline the entire game, cheering on all of his teammates. He was itching to go in and that’s a good thing, but I never once saw him stomp off to the bench and throw a fit or hang his head low even one time. After the game he took it pretty hard, but during the game he stood tall, wearing his father’s jersey number and showing a character beyond his years.

I wanted to tell him that this world often bets against you at 100 to 1 odds. That may sound harsh, but it’s true. And you know what? That’s okay. Remember that there are plenty of people in the crowd rooting for you. I wanted to tell him that whether it’s a coach, or a teacher, or a professor, there will always be someone trying to deny you. That’s okay too. As long as you never let them define you. Don’t let this world take away your spirit or your desire to overcome whatever obstacles get in your way. Your chance will come. When it does, it will only mean more because you were man enough to wait for it.

I wanted to tell him that as I watched him laughing and hanging out with all us grownups last night, the sting of his disappointments firmly abated and his personality on full display as he told us stories about one thing or another, I realized something else: sometimes the odds in life swing the other way and you get that 100 to 1 in your favor. Like they have with me. 

Because the odds of me getting such a great godson? 100 to 1, at best. And yet there you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment