Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Sweet Disposition




“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33

How do you approach your day…I mean, really, each day? Each and every day? Is it with regret? Exhaustion? Frustration? Are things already not going your way, even before they get going at all? Why? Since when did life become a one sided hill, all upward struggle, with no hope for a downhill coast with a cool breeze at your back? When did you forget that life is so very short and surely not meant to me spent immersed in sadness, anxiety or worry?

What would happen if, instead, you adopted a sweet disposition (like that old song by Temper Trap in the 80's, for those of you old enough to remember)? How would the day change if you greeted it with expectancy? Or hope? Or with a gritty determination not to let your circumstances dictate your happiness, or even more importantly, your faith? Can you even imagine the difference that would/could make in your life...or in your blood pressure...or with your weight and your sleep patterns?

How many lives could you affect – profoundly – if you carried a smile on your face all day today? If you simply said: “Today I will laugh at it all, and I will make others laugh, and when they laugh I bet that will make me laugh all the more, and life won’t be this heavy wool coat anymore, but instead it will be a blanket of feathers, that will turn into wings…that will help me to soar.” Sound too flowery? Good. It’s supposed to.

When will you ever learn that you are more than a conqueror? Then accept it, and finally, embrace it? Soon, I hope. The time of your life is not an endless thing, and what time you have left should not be squandered with a dour face and stress that will amount to absolutely nothing on the day that you die. Engage and embrace the gift that God has given you: the very next breath you take, and the next one, and the one after that. Breathe, smile and remember that you’re a much greater version of you when you're filled with love and joy.

2 comments:

  1. In this part of New Hampshire, words are everywhere. People love quotes, poetry, books, independent publishers. Cafes have quotes all over their walls and in my city, the owner of an ancient tire place downtown puts up a new quote at the street every single day for thousands of people to read as they pass by. I think if he didn't do it one day, our city would worry that something had happened to him. This was the quote from the day I also read this new post of yours!

    "The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your town sounds like a nice place to live Hilaree :) I will confess up front that when I wrote this post I was very much having a conversation with myself (or maybe it was an argument... Lol). But this comment of yours shows that there's people all around us, all the time, everyday, trying to have conversations with us...in their own way. We just need to listen (or be on the lookout to read) their words. As always, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete