Monday, December 19, 2011

My Two Divas


Often in life we simply don't take the time to pay attention to the tiny, magical moments that happen. I'm as guilty as the next person of this. I'm always "too busy" or "too stressed" or, more likely, "too full of myself" to catch them.

So I was surprised last night when, sitting at my computer engrossed in some stupid spreadsheet for work, I noticed the sweet sound of song in my ear. I realized that it was my wife and my daughter. Unbeknownst to me, Sophia had wanted a "big girl bath" (otherwise known as a shower) so she had snuck in with my wife. Neither one of them can carry a tune to save their lives but there, from the shower, came Christmas carols, one after the other, and it was amazing. Though their voices may have been a bit out of pitch their love for one another most certainly was not. They giggled between lyrics, they debated over which song to sing next and, like all of us, they made up words to fill in the spots in the songs they didn't know quite so well. My wife's voice and that tiny little five year old voice suddenly became so sweet, so precious, that it almost crushed my heart with love.

I chuckled when the shower was over and the songs came to an end. Before long I had Sophia commanding me to bring her a towel, like the princess she is, and so I did. But not before I took a moment to reflect on my first Christmas gift this season; this very moment from my two divas. It was great.

Today I am amazed at the wonderful amalgamation of blessings and pains that make up the entirety of a human life. We can oftentimes feel a little overwhelmed by it all. We can fail to take notice of the grace that is all around us. Surely though, in those sweet little songs of my girls, I felt a touch of God in the notes they carried.

No comments:

Post a Comment